Power Up

At about 6:45 this morning our local electrical cooperative showed up with their trucks and a pole. At 8:00 I'm going to call the electrician and see when he can get out here. This is so exciting! At this rate we can probably move in by Wednesday.

They are coming off my parent's pole and running the lines down to our house. Here's a terrible shot of them working from my dad's office door. As a reference for those of you that attended our wedding, this is the tree that many of the reception tables were under with the fairy lights. They also had to cut down yet another sassafras tree. Man, those things are everywhere! But I still don't hate them as much as pine trees.



We had seen a water authority truck out by the road last week and stupidly I assumed that meant they were putting in the water meter LIKE THEY SAID THEY WOULD. I mean, come on guys. I paid you nearly $1500 a month ago. When I called them week before last they said they'd be out Monday. When I called them Wednesday they said they'd be out later that day. What little patience I was struggling to scrape together is GONE. Not only is there no water hook-up, but because I assumed that there was without going to inspect whether an actual hole had been dug, I scheduled Mr. Jones to come back out and put out my water lines. So, there's a few more phone calls I have to make.

And apparently our home didn't actually come with cable outlets, so I have to call the provider back and tell them to let their boys know to bring out extra parts this afternoon. I hope they don't charge me for that. At this point, the amount of money we've paid out for the "little things" is beyond ridiculous.

UPDATE:  The electricians have come and gone. They were really fast, didn't track mud everywhere, and most importantly didn't mind explaining things to me as I took lots of pictures. That last picture is the hole in the fuse box where the main wiring was threaded up from the crawl space.



The water authority also came out immediately after I told them I'd be getting our lawyer involved if I didn't see progress today. It's been a month already, and there were only three houses ahead of us. The installation process itself only takes 3-4 hours. I understand that it's been raining, but there's been more than enough sunny days to make this timeline unacceptable.

When they got here I noticed that they were just sitting in the ditch not doing anything. I went out and talked to one guy and he said that the telephone people were supposed to have come out and marked where the lines were so that the backhoe didn't clip them. He said, "They should have been out here by now. We called them two weeks ago." I looked him dead in the eye and said, "Yes, sir. I understand. I paid you guys FOUR weeks ago and I still don't have water."

The short of it is that half an hour later the telephone guy was spray painting the grass and the backhoe is now happily digging up our neighbor's yard. Looks like I'm baking a lot of cakes this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment